Local government law is not straightforward and clients operate in a complex political, regulatory and financial environment. By having a thorough understanding of that environment, Webb Farry’s Local Government team is able to contribute to your organisation’s success.
Experienced local government lawyer, Shelley Chadwick, leads our team while Partners David Ehlers and John Farrow are on hand for commercial and dispute resolution expertise, as required.
In addition to the commercial complexities inevitably involved – due to the scale of local authorities – decision-making processes, requirements and considerations are governed by complicated legislation. There are local government policies, bylaws and plans, as well as central government legislation. Our team provides the considerable precision required to ensure compliance.
The Local Government team has been involved in a number of legal and regulatory matters, representing both local authorities and private/business clients. We can help you navigate a path and provide the legal and commercial solutions required in the local government space.
Examples of Webb Farry’s work with clients
- Providing advice to Anzide Properties Limited and associated interests in relation to complex and opposed designations under the Resource Management Act
- Acting for Maori incorporations and trusts with regard to land issues, including appearing in the Maori Land Court
- Acting for landowners, judicially reviewing local authority decisions
- Advising local authorities on powers and obligations to maintain and manage roading networks under the Local Government Act
- Advising local bodies on land ownership issues, including endowment land
"Our clients rely on us to understand the complex, regulatory environment they operate in and to provide effective, strategic advice and day-to-day support."