Our rural clients want practical, cost-effective advice that helps them reach their desired outcomes.
The Rural Services team is led by Partner Warren Moffat, who has significant commercial and property experience, as well as a solid grasp on the rural sector.
The team can advise on debt, equity and financing arrangements, as well as buying and selling, structuring joint ventures and partnerships, and estate and succession planning. We have experience in tax structuring and share-farming agreements, as well as subdivisions and the associated planning and zoning requirements. We can also advise on overseas investment approval and environmental law.
Examples of Webb Farry’s work with clients
- Assisting the owners of a significant North Otago family farm to work through a complex succession plan that involved multiple subdivisions and staged ownership transfer via tailored company structures
- Acting for a service supplier to an irrigation scheme and negotiating easements and shareholding arrangements
- Advising in relation to an investment in a Chilean farming joint venture, including taking up a shareholding in the company
- Advising farmers in relation to proposals by electricity companies to locate wind farms on their properties
- Advising a local Maori incorporation in relation to carbon credit considerations
- Assisting dairy farmers on all aspects of their affairs, including conversion, equity partnership and Fonterra shareholding matters
"The rural sector is the backbone of New Zealand’s economy. A practical, no-nonsense approach is required to work effectively in this area."